National Society of Women Engineers
A National Society of Women Engineers (SWE) was founded in 1950. Women engineers date back to the early 1900's.
Click here to go to the SWE National Web Page.
The Society of Women Engineers:
· Is a multi-disciplinary educational and scientific 501(c)(3), tax-exempt organization.
· Is the largest and most financially stable non-profit educational and service organization representing both students and professional women in engineering and technical fields.
· Has more than 16,000 members in 100 professional sections 300 student sections from all engineering and technology disciplines.
SWE's Mission and Objectives:
· Stimulate women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders.
· Expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life.
· Demonstrate the value of diversity.
· Inform young women, their parents, counselors, and the general public, of the qualifications and achievements of women engineers and the opportunities open to them.
· Assist women in readying themselves for a return to active work after temporary retirement.
· Serve as a center of information on women in engineering.
· Encourage women engineers to attain high levels of education and professional achievement.
Education & Outreach:
· Since 1953, SWE has focused on outreach to high school students through distribution of inspiring literature profiling women engineering pioneers
· SWE has provided interactive mentoring programs since the early 1950s, including the sponsorship of science fairs and award recognition programs for high school students
· K-12 preparation of women to enter science, engineering and technology (SET) programs
· Girl Scouts and Girls Inc.
· NASA Space Camp
· Counselors & Teachers
· Increase retention and reentry of women in SET workforce and education
· Program development grant from ExxonMobil Foundation
· Scholarship Programs
· 1958: First SWE Scholarship, the "Lillian Moller Gilbreth Scholarship"
· Today: Over $250,000 in undergraduate, graduate and re-entry scholarships is awarded to more than 70 students
· SWE Legacy: Awards & Recognition
· Achievement Award for Excellence in Engineering
· Fellow Grade
· Upward Mobility Award
· Rodney D. Chipp Award
· Distinguished Engineering Educator Award
· Distinguished New Engineer Award
· Resnik Challenger Medal
· Entrepreneur Award
· Volunteer contributions
· SWE Professional Development
· Leadership development
· Programs at section meetings
· Seminars at regional conferences
· CEU courses & workshops at annual conference
· Women Engineering Pioneers and Gender Equity
· Early SWE pioneers and founding members were ahead of their time in surveying the diversity of the engineering profession.
· Inclusive Organization
· Multicultural Awards
· Motorola Awards for professional sections
· Boeing Awards for student sections
· Mentoring programs at key sections
· Spacecamp sponsored by HP and GM
· Diversity Resource Guide
· First steps in alliances with SHPE and NSBE
· Knowledge Resources
· Historical record of SWE leadership and programs
· Increase visibility of SWE and its programs.
· Subject Matter Experts
For information regarding this website please click here to contact our web master.